11.18.2005

Height or happiness?

I'm conflicted.

As my close friends and family know, I've been bitching like crazy about my current work status for quite some time now. I have been with current employer for almost seven years now ( exactly six years and six months) in which I have learned so many freaking things and have gained so many skills that it is not even funny. (Okay, it actually is...HA HA HA!!)

Side note: I'm having trouble concentrating while writing this do to the amazingly talented guys with Franz Ferdinand and their excellent rock album. Cue music: ' Do you wanna go where I've never let you before.'

Now back to the meat.

Okay, so I've been bitching like crazy about the current misery in my life. Today, I realized that I do enjoy, no, love my job. Currently.

I should start somewhat at the beginning for those that have no clue what I'm talking about. for the quick summary, I got this job with this big name tourism company in my city to be the traditional part time job that every college bound student obtains to pay the bills. Shoot forward six years in which this "job" has practically have become a "career." Quite unexpected. I've down everything from tourist information to customer service to cook/sous chef. Yes, I said cook.(Well, as of today. I got to be a cook! Yay!)

I had become extremely unhappy with my job, especially since a so-called "promotion" that I was offered turned out to be more of a demotion. I was going to talk to my manager about it after the seasonal hurricane evacuation. Well, due to Katrina, my tourism related job has morphed into the restaurant industry. On September 1, in an unnamed division of the company, a restaurant was to open. Instead , the ball got rolling about a month later when us folks was allowed back into this portion of the city. Due to Katrina, I'm now a hostess/waitress/sous chef/cook who does a little bartending. (Just don't ask for anything more complicated than a bloody mary.)

I figured with the many job opportunities that have arose, I would look for something that would offer a step up the corporate ladder, something that would actually show appreciation/respect for the skills I have. I found that job. It's with the pet store XXXXX. (You honestly thought i would tell? HA!) They were offering a management position after getting my feet wet in the business. I accepted it about a week ago.

Now on Monday I'll be starting up at XXXXX, though now I'm wondering...

Is this what I want? Heck, where do I see myself in the future? Where do I want to be?

I love the tourism industry. I have come to love everything about my current job. (My coworkers are no longer only of the age forty and over, and I actually am working, not like I was before Katrina in which the high-point of my day was cleaning the restroom. Sheesh...)

I can't help but wonder if I should stay where I am. I find myself asking myself if climbing the corporate ladder is what I want. Now I'm not debating on wheter or not I should quit my upcoming job, because I'm not. I do plan to stick with the two for now ( two jobs equals two paychecks which also means happy Angie.)

What do y'all think?

No comments: