5.26.2005

Ix-nay on the igpay atinlay

I don't know pig latin. That bugs me. I should. I remember as a kid all my friends were using it with the greatest of ease while I stared on like a dumb and mute fool. One of my fav books, Y: The Last Man had it in a scene, and it drove me bonkers on what-the-heck they were saying:

355: "Hidigey, idigallidigisdigon! Zidigip idigit!"

Dr. Mann: "Didigont yidgou tidigell midige whidigat tidigo didigo!"

Yorick: "Don't mind them. They do this all the time. I think it's chinese."

[Stranger]: "All right, now I know you're a dude. That's gibberish, it's like pig latin only girls know how to speak. Never heard anybody do it that fast though."

I'm not a "dude" (at least to my knowledge...), any help? I am willing to be educated in the ways of pig latin!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

That's not pig latin those people are speaking. I don't know what it's called exactly, but it's not pig latin. 355 said "Hey, Allison! Zip it!" and Dr. Mann said "Don't you tell me what to do!"

That language, basically, is formulated by putting the sound "idig" randomly in every syllable. For example, your name would be "IdigAngidigie..." I don't know if you want your last name on here, so I won't put it. Mine would be "Stidigacidigey Spidigiehlidiger." See - STidigACidigEY SPidigIEHLidigER. It's horrendously complicated, but useful when one is a teenager and one doesn't want the nearby boys to know what lustful things one is saying about said boys.

Pig Latin, on the other hand, is quite easy to remember, but also quite easy to understand. From the title of your post, it appears you already know how to use it. However, in case you actually need a lesson, here goes.

Take the first letter or syllable off of any given word and put it at the end of that word and add "ay." Obviously works best with multiple syllable words.

If you are using a word that starts with a vowel, put the vowel at the end of the word then say "hay." I've also heard some people just put a random "hay" at the end of a word that starts with a vowel.

Your name would be "Ngie-hay or Angie-hay." Mine would be "Acey-Stay Iehler-Spay."

Idigi'll sidigee yidigou thidigis widigeekidigend.

I'll-hay ee-say ou-yay is-thay eekend-way.

Hope you got those!

Ove-Lay, Acey-Stay

Anonymous said...

I dunno about any "Idig" language, but I guess I'm otnay otay ightbray. Of course, I'm still all for any language that allows girls to say lustful things around me. :)

Pig latin was actually developed as a roman code cypher, the idea being that by adding gibberish, and re-arranging a few words, the text is unreadable to someone not in on the code. This concept is still the basis for many cyphers today, but usually far more complicated ones.

--C.K.

Orchard P Dirk said...

It also tends to be the case that reading pig latin may be harder than hearing it? Perhaps. Although I am not much for pig latin anyway, although there are some language games where you can communicate by the beginning letters of each sentence and spell out a word that will shock your friends and make them think you are psychic.

love, orch