3.21.2006

A Trip down Memory Lane

Today, at work, I was asked the spelling of Thibodeaux,** in which a stroll down memory lane commenced. My mind wandered into the past on those folks that had an impact on my life, both good and bad.

Mr. Thobodeaux: This was my band director in high school. A great guy. One of the few teacher I acutally loved to be around. One day, only a few weeks before graduating, I meandered into his office. He was prepping for that afternoon's rehearsal. He was concentrating on what ever task he held at had, though looked up for aseond and said, "Angie, you have a great smile that always brightens my day." Then he went write back to work. Definitely a remark that sparked the, "hey, maybe I'm not ugly..."

Chelsea: She was a great childhood friend that has the prestige of being the hugest Jesus fan I ever met. (Even greater than Stacey.) I remember chatting to her what was to be the beginning of the end of my faith in the catholic church. I spoke about how freaking bored I always am during mass, feeling like a part of a huge congrgation of zombies. She told me, downright seriously passionate, that everytime the bread becomes body (Don't know what I'm talking about? Check into your neighborhood catholic church/website!) she gets excited. And not in the perverse way, some of you are thinking. You know who you are... It still amazes me on how a 14 year old girl had such a reassurance on her spirituality...

Lewie: This guy was someone I worked with who loooooved women. He loved everything about the fairer sex. Any woman who wouuld present herself in front of him, no matter how flaw-full, he would find something beautiful about them, and charm the shit out of them. He also was the first man to officially call me a "woman". It was weird at the time, believe me. Gawd, how I miss him. He still owes me a manicure...

Alfred: Another guy I worked with. He was extremely passionate about the arts/film/politics. He had an amazing love for cultural arts and it beamed from him. This guy got me into noticing some of the little differances that each one of us humans bring to the world.

Lynn: She was my best friend in highhscool. She treated me like shit. It took me about 5 years to notice this. Realizing how horrible she treated me was one of the few good memories I had during my first year of college. She made me realize that there is something that can't me missing from any friendship--or any relationship--: respect.

Mr. Blocker***: He was my highscool's theater director. He was (and still is) great at what he did (does). He even has won a few Big Easy Awards, New Orleans' very own entertainment awards. He was the guy he introduced me to theatre and, in the end, introduce to me that I can sing. Good. Mr. Brand had an extreme passion for musical theatre that was extremely contagious.


Alfred also once told me that there will always be peole through out your life that only have one purpose in their breif stint in your life. Of course, it will always vary what that "purpose" is. Those were the people in my life that had a breif stint, than left. Some I miss, others, well, I don't want to end my post on a sour note.... :D


**Names have been changed to protect their privacy.
*** Mr. Blocker is the exception. I always been proud of the act that my highschool had a professsional director as our director, and not a parent. Talk about luck....

No comments: